Saturday, April 13, 2013

Chapter Nine

After that night, Arnav and Khushi didn't bring it up. Arnav clearly remembered what he had said to her and felt embarrassed. Khushi felt weird about it, and couldn't get it out of her head.

Arnav liked me, Khushi thought. I can't believe it! I thought he never did! I mean I used to like him, but he actually liked me back?! OMG!!!

Khushi felt like a teen, but she didn't care. It was just mind-boggling to her! Day and night, it went through her head. But around Arnav, she would act calm.

Day after day, both began to feel comfortable and would get closer and closer. Not to that point, but they were closer than before. They were good friends but with time passing by, the want of love was getting bigger and bigger.

One day Khushi went out to the mall alone. She shopped here and there, when she stopped in front of a men's store. She decided to get Arnav a nice cologne, and then she went to Gucci and got him a nice watch. She just felt like getting it for him since the past few days, the only thing coming to her mind was just one person - Arnav.

Whenever he would be around, her heart would go dhak-dhak! Dhak-dhak! She would dream about him, night and day. She felt the urge of wanting him, and she wanted to be with him.

Hmm, what else should I get?

She passed by some stores and thought of getting Arnav some clothes, but she didn't know his size. In fact, she didn't know much about him at all. That made her think back to their conversation they had earlier before she left.

*~*

"Arnavji, I'm going to the mall," Khushi said.

"Okay," Arnav replied, working on a file.

Khushi grabbed her purse. "Should I get you something?"

"No," he sighed.

"Meaning yes."

"No."

She shrugged on her purse. "Why not?"

Arnav looked at her. "What would you get?"

"I don't know. Anything I like?"

Arnav rolled his eyes, smiling lightly.

"Well, I don't know what you like," Khushi said in a low voice.

Arnav nodded, looking at the file.

"Or what you hate," she nearly whispered.

Arnav looked back at her. She seemed a bit sad and he scrunched his eyebrows.

"I barely know you," she whispered, sadly.

Arnav felt bad and wanted to hug her and comfort her, but he didn't move. He looked back at his file, disappointed he couldn't do anything.

"I wish you would let me get close to you," she said in a low voice. "I want to know you Arnavji. I want to know what you like and what you hate. ... I want to be with you."

Arnav gulped, daring not to look at her. Khushi just turned and left and Arnav looked at her as she left.

*~*

Khushi sighed. She couldn't stay upset at him for too long. It was his beautiful face that made it go away.

Finished with shopping, Khushi headed out of the mall. She went to the parking lot, when a group of men appeared out of nowhere.

"Ey ladki (Yo chick!)," a guy yelled. "Come with us."

"Excuse me?"

Khushi shut her door, all of her bags in her car.

"What, you can't hear," another ask. "Chal! (Move!)"

Two other guys grabbed her arms.

"Hey! What are you doing," she exclaimed.

The fifth guy gagged her.

"Take her away," the first guy said.

They dragged Khushi, Khushi trying to fight back, but it was no use. There was no one around and the group dragged her into the back of a white van and shut the doors. Khushi tried to fight away, but their hold on her was too strong. They tied her hands and feet and placed a black cover over her head.

Meanwhile...

Arnav stared at his laptop. After Khushi had left, Arnav couldn't even focus on his work. All he thought of was Khushi and what she had said. To think she would feel that way was mind-boggling to him.

Khushi? Wants to know him? That's so weird! Well, at least to him. The last girl he actually liked was her. Getting involved into politics meant a lot of studying so time for girls got off hands and books came into play.

He was too busy thinking this, when his secretary came running in, along with his Mama.

"Chote, come now," Mamaji said.

"What's wrong," Arnav asked, standing up.

"Sir, we have a problem on our hands," Arnav's secretary said.

"What?"

"We don't exactly know because the guy is demanding to speak to you. Him and his men are nonstop calling us, no matter how many times we're telling them to stop."

Without a word, Arnav headed out the door and his Mama and secretary followed. They headed out the house and Anannya looked at them as they left.

"Chote? What happened," she asked, running to the door.

"Di, stay inside," Mamaji said.

"What? Why? What happened?"

"Stay inside-!"

"No way," and she ran behind them.

Arnav headed into HQ and everyone was on the phone. His secretary went to her desk and Arnav went to his. His secretary's phone rang and she picked it up.

"Hello? ...wait." She looked at Arnav. "Sir-"

"Transfer the call," Arnav said.

She nodded and transferred the call. The line blinked and Arnav picked it up.

"Arnav Sing Raizada," he said confidently.

"Of course," the manly voice said. "Who else would it be?"

Arnav could tell he was smiling. "What do you want?"

"You know, the funny thing is, I've been trying to contact you for like hours-"

"What. Do you. Want?"

"Ah, straightforward... I like it."

"I don't like repeating myself sir-"

"Please! Don't be so formal! We could be pals!"

Arnav was about to cut him off but the guy continued.

"I mean come on ASR- you don't mind me calling you that, do you? No? Good," and Arnav could tell he was smiling again.

"I'll ask you again," Arnav said patiently. "What. Do. You. Want?"

"Well ASR, since you want to get down to business immediately... I'll tell you."

Armav rolled his eyes, letting out an inward sigh. About time, he thought.

"We have a very, very... prized possession, if you will, with us."

Arnav scrunch his eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"Really ASR? I'm sure you would know what we're talking about."

"What the-?"

"We have your wife ASR."

Arnav's eyes widened. "Bullshit-"

"Don't believe me? Your pal? Well, listen to Bhabiji then."

There was a ruffling noise and then a tiny, weak voice spoke.

"Arnav..."

Arnav's eyes widened. It really was Khushi. "Khushi," he breathed.

Everyone else in the room gaped. Anannya covered her mouth and her eyes shot wide.

"Khushi," she asked. "What? How? Where-?"

Her brother raised his hand to hush her.

"Khushi, are you okay," Arnav asked, breathless.

"Arnav..."

"Khushi? Khushi, are you okay?"

"Arnav..."

"Khushi, don't worry. I'm coming, okay? I'm coming to save you."

"How sweet," the guy said.

"Where the fuck have you kept my wife?"

Anannya looked at her son in shock. Of the few months of their marriage, this is the first time he had ever seen Arnav like this, claiming her as his wife, not just saying it.

"Relax pal," the guy said. "Bhabiji is fine! We wouldn't hurt Bhabiji-"

"WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?!"

Everyone jumped from Arnav yelling.

"Chill yaar! I'll text you the address, under one condition that is."

"What condition?"

"Bring 50 lakhs with you."

"What the?! 50 lakhs?!"

"I know you have that kinda money. Its too little for a man like you. Bring me the money, and Bhabiji will be set free and into your arms."

"You snake," Arnav snarled.

"Is that a way to talk to your pal? Eh, oh well. I'll text you the address. But khabardar, if you bring anyone, or even inform the police, then your wife gets it."

"Yeah, yeah, I get it."

"No, no I don't think you do."

All of a sudden there was shrieking.

"Arnav!" It was Khushi. She was screaming when there was a sound of a bullet.

"Khushi!"

"Relax yaar," the guy said, back at the phone again. "Bhabiji ko kuch nehi hua. Chill, 'Kay? Chill."

"If anything happens to my wife," Arnav said through his gritted teeth, his eyes filled with anger and power, "then I will murder you," he snarled.

"Whoa, chill yaar! Anyways, I can tell you're getting impatient for bhabiji. Fine, no prob. I'll be hanging up and sending you a text. Remember, no one with you. Not your people nor police. Or your wife gets it," and the guy hung up.

Arnav's grip on the phone loosened and somewhat slipped. He disconnected the call and looked side to side, running a hand through his hair.

"Chote," Anannya said, grabbing his arm, "where's Khushi? Where?!"

"She's been kidnapped," Arnav almost whispered.

"Kidnapped? What- how- why?!"

He looked at Mamaji. "They want money. 50 lakhs."

"That much," Mamaji replied. "But Arnav, it's a lot-"

"I don't care how much it is," Arnav boomed. "I need to save Khushi!"

Both his mom and uncle gaped at him, wondering when he started to care for Khushi so much.

"I need to save her," he said in a lower voice. He looked at his secretary. "Get my checkbook. I need that money. NOW!"

She jumped an quickly left. She brought it back and Arnav filled out a check and sent her to the bank, calling the bank to let them know of the huge withdrawal.

Arnav's phone beeped and it was a text. The text was from a private number and it was an address. Arnav sat in his chair and rested his lips on his folded hands, thinking of the call.

"We have your wife ASR."

"Bullshit-"

"Don't believe me? Your pal? Well, listen to bhabiji then."

There was a ruffling noise and then a tiny, weak voice spoke.

"Arnav..."

Arnav leaned back in his chair, thinking back to earlier in the day.

"I barely know you," she whispered, sadly.

Arnav shut his eyes.

 "I wish you would let me close to you," she said in a low voice.

Arnav opened his eyes and looked at his desk. He opened the top drawer and took out a picture of Khushi. He secretly kept it there and would look at it everyday.

"I want to know you Arnavji. I want to know what you like and what you hate. ... I want to be with you."

"I'm sorry Khushi," Arnav said aloud. "I want you too. I just didn't know how you felt. But now everything is going to change. I want to know you too. And I never want to lose you."

His secretary came back with two big briefcases filled with money. Arnav looked a the picture one last time.

I'm coming. I'm coming for you Khushi.

He put the picture away and took the briefcases. He headed to his car and Anannya and Mamaji approached him.

Anannya looked at him seriously. "Bring my daughter back safe and sound."

Arnav placed the briefcases down to take his mothers blessings. "I swear Ma, that I will bring her back. No matter what."

She placed her hand on his head and Arnav stood up. "My blessings are always with you."

Arnav nodded and put the briefcases in his car, got in, and drove off.

1 comment: